
This past weekend was Visalia's annual Relay For Life. It is the signature event of the American Cancer Society, and it celebrated it's 25th year!
I volunteer to form a team every year, because I think it is a good way to be involved in cancer awareness. Something like 1 in 100 people participate in Relay, so I am by no means special. But it makes me feel good, like I am honoring my grandma in an active way. She probably would have loved organizing her own team (must be where I get it from). The whole weekend is such a moving experience. It is so great to see all the survivors in purple shirts walking the first lap. Lots of survivors being present means that cancer research and prevention is working. If you are surviving, than you are alive! And the candle light ceremony conducted at sundown....I was already crying when they brought the bags out and they weren't even lit yet. Very powerful stuff.
Anyway, my team raised $4,100 from donations, bake sale, and chili/cornbread sales. In a recession year, that is really good! There were about 80 teams, so if everyone did as good or better than us, that is quite a difference!
Remember: September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness month. Wear a turquise ribbon and spread the word about early detection and check ups. Celebrate. Remember. Fight Back!




No comments:
Post a Comment