Saturday, May 7, 2011

Another year older...


I think that after you turn 30, maybe even sooner than that, all of your birthdays start to meld together. Someone told me that once, but it must have been at an age when I still had such important milestone birthdays to look forward to that I disregarded their comment. Now, however, I realize they were right. I remember as a kid my mom wouldn't know her own age off the top of her head. She would take a moment to do the math, "What year is this?" she would ask herself out loud. "How could that be??" I thought to myself. I know how many years, months, weeks and days I am, how far away or how I close I was to ten, thirteen, sixteen, etc. But here I am, 31, and not too excited one way or the other.

My thirty-first birthday came and went without much pomp and circumstance. But the thing is, I was fine with that. My birthday just doesn't matter to me as much anymore. I mean, of COURSE every person likes a day that is just for themselves, when you get to be a little selfish and demanding. This tired working mama was no different. I was happy to have my cousin (Noah's godmother) in town to babysit so that Eric and I could go out to dinner and a movie. I was excited that Eric humored my love of photography and walked with me down to the beach to take photos with my new camera. I enjoyed getting cards and gifts from friends I haven't seen in a while.

But mostly I was just glad to have a day to spend time with my little family, no chores, no work deadlines, and a little frozen yogurt. Some cuddles and relaxation is just what I wished for this birthday, and Eric must have heard my wish because he bought me my own Kindle and a $50 gift card to Amazon so I could fill it up. Snuggling with a blanket and a book is one of my favorite things to do! He knows me so well!

As I mentioned earlier, I got a new camera! It wasn't really a birthday gift, we used our tax return money and I still need to sell my Sony on eBay, but WOW the Nikon D90 kicks the Sony Alpha's butt big time!!! In the ISO alone, it is just awesome!! Now, I just have to save up for my 50mm lens and I am all set!

Below are some photos I took on my birthday with my new camera:


I loved that these kids went to the beach in their prom attire. Eric and I did the same thing, many, many years ago.




No comments: