Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Fix You

I am a runner. It took me a while to say that out loud. I used to say I was a jogger. But, in fact, I have always been a runner. I enjoy the runner's high, the solitude of you, your sneakers, and the road. I love that I can do it wherever I am, in whatever city I am in.

Then there's my husband. For many (several) years I tried to get Eric into running with me. He would run half a mile and then start to walk bitching about how much he hated running and why anyone would want to do this for fun. I spent many days and nights just running alone.

One day though, that changed. I am not really certain why it changed. I could speculate that the prospect of turning thirty was looming over him. Or maybe it was the fact that we were considering starting a family, and he wanted to be a dad (and a family really) that could run around and play with the kids. So he started running with me. And I would go slow for his pace just so that he could stay motivated and complete the mile. Soon we were running two or three miles together early every week day. And then in 2009 we signed up for a 5k together after four months of running. Eric beat me by a second that year. I didn't let him win, but I also didn't kill myself on that 5k.

By the following year at the very same 5k, Eric legitimately beat me by almost 4 minutes! Now when we go run together, it is a struggle for me to try and keep up with him. Because of his other training (cycling, weight lifting) his lungs are in great shape, and his heart works much more efficiently then mine currently does. He has lost nearly 70lbs in the past two years, and I don't see him putting the weight back on any time soon. I am so very proud of what he has accomplished, I can't even really convey it to you all.

We stumbled on this video and Eric said, "hey, this guy is me." I cried. Cried. I don't know about the clinical depression (maybe Eric was feeling some of it but did a good job of hiding it from me). But I do know YES he is much happier!!! He is living life! And I want Ben and Eric to meet some day and run a marathon together and share their journey. This video is poetic and heart breaking and inspirational all at the same time. As the music played, tears really were streaming down my face. Because I saw Eric in each of those photos. I never ever wanted to fix him. I married him for the person he was and is and will be. But I am so pleased that HE wanted to fix his health, for himself.

Check it out here: http://youtu.be/8SbXgQqbOoU If this video does not inspire and motivate you, you are dead inside!
And check out this guy's website www.bendoeslife.tumblr.com

1 comment:

Jaime said...

wow love that video def inspiring!