Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Letting Go


"The key to change, is letting go of fear." - Roseanne Cash

Sometimes I think of my blog has having multiple personalities. Sometimes my posts are for the benefit of my family and friends who don't get to see Noah on a regular basis and I post photos to keep them in the loop. Sometimes I post a photo(s) that I really like or I am really proud of and I want to share. And other times I post an entry that is just for me. A diary entry of sorts, entered into cyberspace. This is one of those posts.

My parents are moving out of my childhood home today. For the past few weeks we have been boxing up thirty years of memories, and of course slowed down by the occasional "awww... remember this?!?" For example I came across several of my old diaries from my childhood. Some of the entries were embellishments like "We are moving tomorrow and have to sleep on the ground" (I think this was actually when we had new carpet installed and all the furniture was in the garage. Because as this entire post is about, we have never moved!). And some were mundane like "My dad grounded me today." Others were momentous like "We went to Disneyland yesterday, and Knotts Berry Farm today." And like this one:


Reading this entry, I remembered the day that my BFF Becca moved out of California. I thought my little world was over! How was I supposed to keep going to elementary school without seeing my friend at recess?! So funny how your perspective is when you are little. And again, change is scary. I knew that even at age ten.

But, just as I was able to make it through fifth and sixth grade without Becca, we will all be fine when my parents move to their new house. I am a little saddened as my parents empty out the house. And I know they are sad and stressed, and maybe a little scared too. I am happy to look back on the twenty plus years in that house with fondness for the memories we created there. But I am happy to look ahead to the fun memories that Noah is going to get to make with them in their new house.


So Mom, Dad......let go. And enjoy the detour on the path of your life.

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Awesome post Channone! So not easy letting go. I'm still working on dealing with those kinds of emotions as an adult as well! Love all you said here. Onward towards new memories!

Corn said...

Aw so sweet. That must be hard, giving up your childhood home. What a sweet post, xoxoxo.